Thursday, September 18, 2014

Please don't go.....

Today Scotland votes on whether they will leave Great Britain and become independent....

I get why...I do...and this clip, well not really a clip as it's 15 minutes long (but 100% worth watching) is a great insight as to why they want to go....(warning...might not want to watch in front of the kids...bad language...though my 15yr old was almost wetting his pants laughing at some points!)


BUT....Scotland....c'mon....please stay....

I feel like I'm reliving the early days of my separation...lol

"Please stay...don't go"
"I can't stay for you, I have to do what's best for me"

As an Englishwoman who no longer lives in England (insert huge sulky pouty face emoticon here) I have to say in all honesty I haven't followed all the political why's and why nots of this vote, and it's not going to affect my life...BUT....

MY FLAG!!!!!


What will happen to my flag ????
The Union Jack is made up of the flags of St.George (England), St. Andrew (Scotland) & St. Patrick (Ireland) so if Scotland becomes independent, then the flag will change...all that blue of the red, white & blue will be no more :(

What will happen ? Will Wales finally get to join in on the flag ? Will the blue become black to represent the flag of St.David (Wales), will it change completely.? Will Wales want to add a dragon ? or sheep ? or a leek ?

How confused will the rest of the World be ? Answer is VERY!!! 

I mean seriously it's hard enough for the rest of the world to understand the differences between England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Great Britain and United Kingdom and the multitude of flags that represent these countries and why sometimes we compete as individual countries and sometimes we go as one big team of Great Britain, but rarely as the United Kingdom...honestly it's confusing for the citizens of these countries ( myself included) sometimes...

Scotland is an amazingly beautiful country, I know it's not going anywhere but it's family...it's the drunk Uncle at every party who everyone loves and even though they can be crazy & weird, it's just not the same when they're not there...

How will we tell jokes....will we now have to say "An Englishman, Irishman & Welshman went into a pub...." I can't, it's not right, it sounds all wrong :(

So Scotland....can we make a deal ? 
We'll play nicer, we'll eat more haggis and shortbread, we'll drink more whiskey & buy more crystal, we'll stop asking what's under your kilt & making jokes about sheep shaggin'...

Please stay...


Pretty please!


No comments:

Post a Comment